Friday 13 November 2009



Narcissus


Well, I still reckon myself alright. I remember when Mum would wash my long, black hair in the kitchen sink and afterwards when it was still wet, looking in the mirror, I would fashion it this way and that. The David Bowie, The Frankenstein, The Dracula, The Lon Chaney, The Hitler hair or maybe a even centre parting. I looked great.


By the time theboysandgirlsandmenandwomen started taking an interest in me I was washing my own hair in the kitchen sink. I had also got myself a bigger mirror. An Edwardian one with a bevelled edge in an oak frame. It hung perfectly on the wall and and was very flattering.


I didn't ask theboysandgirlsandmenandwomen to fancy me. I told them they weren't good enough for me. I showed 'em. They wanted a piece of me. Each and every one of them. Those were the very words. "I want a piece of you". Well, I didn't like the sound of that, so took a piece of them and made it a piece of me. How do you like them apples?


I was reading about Narcissus Complex the other day. Apparently, most dictators suffered from it and a lot of murderers and serial killers, too.

Like Ed Bundy mincing around in his human-skin frock. I wouldn't have done that. Not in that grotty basement, anyway. They say people with NC are underachievers who aren't as good-looking as they think they are, that they've got an exaggerated idea of their own abilities, a sense of entitlement.


It's widely stated that children and teenagers can't be classified as having complexes. They're not fully formed, or something.


They're not all like that you know.



I'm not allowed a mirror in here. It would be detrimental to my health, they reckon. I'm convinced they're just doing it to test me. To see what a clever fellow like me would do to get round it so they can copy me. Then they'll let me out.



There's no water here in my room either, if I want a drink I must call out for one. The service is always dreadfully slow. The toilet arrangements aren't great, there being no water and slopping out is only once a day but I kind of enjoy the smell. Love it, actually. They don't know what they're missing. What I really look forward to though, is when I just need a piss. Then I can fill a basin and stare at my gorgeous face in its warm, golden hues and watch my lips move as they echo my words.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment